Armin Landeck, printmaker and educator, was born in Crandon, Wisconsin on June 4, 1905. He studied at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and received his Bachelors of Architecture from Columbia University in 1927. In 1931, he joined the faculty of the Brearly School, an all-girls private school located on the upper east side of Manhattan, and taught there until his retirement in 1958. Landeck joined forces with fellow artist Martin Lewis in the fall of 1934 when they opened the School for Printmakers at George Miller’s 14th Street lithography studio, but closed in 1935 due to the economy. Landeck met Stanley William Hayter in the 1940s and began to work at Aterlier 17 where he made his first engraving.
He was a member of and exhibited with the Society of American Etchers and the Society of American Graphic Artists. Landeck was elected an Academician in the National Academy of Design, and was a member of the Institute of Arts and Letters, and the Institute of the American Academy. He received a Guggenheim Fellowship in 1953.Landeck’s work is included in numerous collections, such as the Ackland Art Museum, the Brooklyn Museum, the Georgia Museum of Art, the Library of Congress, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Milwaukee Museum, the Museum of Modern Art, the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Spencer Museum, the Whitney Museum of American Art, the Swedish National Museum, and the Kaiser Friedrich Museum in Berlin.